I know, I know. It’s still November… and who has time to think about Christmas amidst all the essays and exams!?- The ESS, that’s who!
The ESS will be hosting a Book Exchange on December 2nd (Wednesday) @ 4pm in Galileo’s. All you have to do is bring a wrapped book. You definitely don’t have to buy a brand new one but try to bring one that’s still in a decent condition :). There will be snacks and refreshments provided.
Here’s how the Exchange will proceed:
- All of the books go in a pile
- The host prepares slips of paper with numbers equal to the total number of gifts.
- Each participant draws a number to determine the order of play.
- The person who draws the number one selects a wrapped gift, unwraps it and allows everyone to see it.
- The person who draws number two takes the next turn. S/he can elect to take an opened gift–in this case number one’s gift–or select a wrapped gift. If s/he takes number one’s gift, number one picks another wrapped gift and opens it. Now there are two opened gifts.
- The person who has drawn number three takes the next turn. This person can choose any opened gift–in this case there are two–or decide to select a wrapped gift.
- This procedure continues until all gifts have been unwrapped.
- A single turn continues until a wrapped gift is selected and unwrapped.
- When a gift is taken from you, you either take an already opened gift, or open a wrapped gift.
- A player can not immediately take back a gift that was just taken from him/her.
- If a single gift has been taken three times, on the fourth time, it is out of play.
- When all the gifts have been opened, the person who first started the exchange gets the final option to take any eligible gift or keep what she has.
All of the books last year were terrific; let’s turn it into a tradition 🙂 Keep the English Christmas cheer alive! Hope to see you there.
The ESS Exec. Team